Garlic bread is the quintessential accompaniment to any Italian dish. It takes your meal to a whole new level. But is that all garlic bread is – an accompaniment? A side dish? We think not. We believe that garlic bread is very underrated and should be celebrated as is. So here are a few great ways to elevate our wholewheat garlic bread into a complete meal:
Classic Wholewheat Garlic Bread Bruschetta
The awesome thing about bruschetta is that apart from the basic olive oil, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, you can add pretty much whatever you want. You can add different cheeses like goat’s cheese, feta, ricotta or parmesan and also add bits of bacon, ham or any other deli meat. You can also use different vegetables like bell peppers, beetroots etc. Various herbs and spices can be used for seasoning as well. Here’s our version:
4 slices of TBD Wholewheat Garlic Bread
10-15 cherry tomatoes, sliced into halves
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and extra for brushing
Fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt to taste
- Mix the cherry tomatoes with the olive oil and roast in a preheated oven at 200 °C for 10-15 minutes and let it cool.
- Brush the wholewheat garlic bread slices on both sides with olive oil and toast it until crispy.
- Mix the cooled cherry tomatoes with the basil and balsamic vinegar and spread the mixture evenly on top of the toasted garlic bread slices.
- Season it with salt and serve immediately.
Since we already add garlic in our whole wheat garlic bread, you don’t have to add it again separately in the recipe. But if you want it to taste even more garlic-forward, then you can add some freshly minced garlic or garlic powder in the cherry tomato mixture. Also, as we said earlier, you can jazz this Bruschetta up by adding some more toppings and seasonings of your choice. But this classic version is the OG! It is crispy, juicy, tangy and fresh. What more do you need in a perfect dish?
Cheesy Wholewheat Garlic Bread Boat
This recipe takes the word ‘elevate’ to the next level. This is what dreams are made of – oozy, cheesy, buttery, garlicky goodness. This recipe is super simple, yet super delicious. The combination of the wholewheat garlic bread with the decadent cheese filling is just out of this world. Now, without further ado, let’s get to the recipe:
1 loaf of TBD Wholewheat Garlic Bread (unsliced, whole)
¼ cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
Garlic salt to taste (or ½ tsp garlic powder + salt to taste)
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped and extra for garnish
½ tsp dried oregano or mixed herbs seasoning
½ cup cheddar cheese
½ cup mozzarella cheese
¼ cup cream cheese
- Scoop out the top and insides of the garlic bread loaf in a rectangular shape such that it resembles a boat. Cut the scooped out bread into cubes and set aside.
- Combine the butter, garlic salt and dried oregano (or mixed herbs seasoning) together in a bowl. Spread half of this mixture on the inside and outside of the garlic bread boat. Melt the remaining half of the mixture and pour it evenly on the cubed bread pieces.
- Place the bread boat on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the three cheeses and parsley together. Fill the bread boat completely with this cheese mixture.
- Place the baking tray in a preheated oven at 200 °C for 10-15 minutes until the cheese melts and bubbles. You can also broil it for another 2 minutes if you want to brown the cheese even more.
- While the bread boat is baking, keep the bread cubes on a separate baking tray and bake it for 5-7 minutes until golden brown. Alternatively, you can toast them on a skillet.
- Let the bread boat cool down a bit and then garnish it with some freshly chopped parsley. Serve it hot. Use the bread cubes for scooping out the cheese filling from the bread boat.
Stuffed Wholewheat Garlic Bread Pizza Sticks
Since pizza and garlic bread are BFFs, we’ve decided to make them into one dish. This is such a fun, easy recipe that will be a huge hit with the kids. It is also a very customizable recipe. You can add whatever toppings come to your mind, be it cheese, sauces, veggies or even meat. So, let’s get right to it:
1 loaf of TBD Wholewheat Garlic Bread (unsliced, whole)
2 tbsp salted butter, melted
¼ cup pizza sauce
¼ cup cream cheese or creamy cheese spread
¼ cup chopped vegetables of choice (onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, sweet corn, jalapenos etc.)
1 tsp dried oregano or italian seasoning
- Take the loaf of wholewheat garlic bread and slice it horizontally across the length in a butterfly shape such that both the halves should be attached to one end of the bread.
- Open the halves and lay it flat on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or silicone mat such that the crust side is touching the tray.
- Brush the melted butter all over the bread, making sure to get both the inside and the top and bottom.
- Spread the pizza sauce on the inside of both halves.
- Next, spread the cream cheese evenly on top of the pizza sauce.
- Finally, on one half of the bread, add all the vegetable toppings in one thin, even layer and sprinkle the oregano/seasoning.
- Now, carefully take the other half and fold it over the half with the vegetable toppings, still making sure that both halves are attached together on one end.
- Cut this stuffed bread into strips along its breadth using a pizza cutter or a bread knife and spread the strips evenly apart on the baking tray.
- Place the tray in a preheated oven for baking at 200 °C for 10-15 minutes until the cheese oozes out and the bread turns golden brown.
- Serve warm with tomato ketchup or a cheese dip.