Some people don’t have much choice when it comes to food. This is because their body chooses them in the form of gluten intolerance and celiac disease. But luckily, there is an escape – a gluten-free diet. This may sound like a hassle. However, adopting a gluten free diet is not as difficult as it sounds. Some recipes are simple and delicious. The basic food items like bread can be baked at home as well! Here is how you can bake crusty and delicious gluten-free bread at home.
Baking bread at home is a joyful activity to do over the weekend. You can do it with your family, using the baking session as a bonding time. This is an easy recipe that beginners can follow along easily. You don’t need to go above and beyond to procure the ingredients. You can find these online very easily and have them delivered to your doorstep. Now that everything is in place, let’s get baking!
- Warm Water – 1 + 1/4 cups
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Active Dry Yeast – 1 tbsp
- White Rice Flour – 1 + 1/3rd Cups OR 215 gms
- Sorghum/Jowar flour – 2/3rd Cup OR 70gms
- Potato Starch – 1/2 Cup OR 55gms
- Corn Starch – 1/2 Cup OR 55gms
- Rice flour – 1/2 Cup OR 55gms
- Salt – 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Eggs – 3
- Canola Oil – for brushing the pan
- Pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, hemp seeds – 1/2 Cup OR 55gms
- Bring the water to a temperature of about 38 to 43℃ by heating it gently.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water. You can also stir in the sugar as you heat the water.
- Add the dry yeast to the sugar solution and let it sit until you notice bubbles. This means that the yeast has started on its action.
- When it becomes bubbly and frothy, add the eggs one by one. You can use flax or chia egg replacement to make it a vegan recipe.
- In the next step add the gluten-free flours i.e. rice flour, Jowar flour, potato starch, corn starch.
- Then, add salt to the batter.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients lightly with gentle folds so that you don’t overwork the batter.
- When almost combined, add the seeds to the batter.
- After one final mix, you’ll get a beautiful batter that is somewhat pourable in nature.
- Grease the loaf pan with canola oil and add the batter.
- Add the batter to the pan and let it rise.
- When the batter has risen to almost twice the size, preheat the oven to 218℃.
- Bake the bread at 218℃ for 45 minutes and then bring down the temperature to 190℃ and bake the bread for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes before taking it out from the pan.
- Let the loaf cool completely before slicing and enjoy!
Why do you need to switch to a gluten-free diet?
Of course, for people who suffer from gluten intolerance and celiac disease, there are no other options. They need to exclude food items containing gluten from their diets. However, other people can make the switch too!
Here are the 3 main reasons why any health-conscious individual should make the switch.
- It helps to manage the symptoms like bloating, diarrhoea or constipation, gas, fatigue which are a result of a sensitive digestive system.
- Switching to gluten-free foods helps to manage body weight as well.
- A gluten-free diet is often rich in fibre with ingredients like tapioca starch, potato starch, etc.
- For people suffering from this autoimmune disease, even a small amount of gluten can cause a lot of trouble. So, if you or any of your loved ones have this condition, you should switch to gluten-free bread and other products as soon as possible.
- A gluten-free diet helps a lot in weight loss because it reduces the consumption of all junk foods and replaces it with lean protein.